what's that saying? 'pride will be your downfall'?
something like that.
something like that.
pride- this one specific kind of pride- can sometimes be my downfall.
i am not a particularly stubborn person, though, like just about everybody, i can be on the rare occasion. i find saying sorry a pretty easy thing to do, and being the first to apologize never bothers me. i hate confrontation and tension and fighting and hurt feelings, so whatever ends it fastest, i'm almost always willing to do, and do it quick.
my pride tends to take a different direction, a more vain direction, if you will. for example, i was so prideful about the fact that i could get my pre-pregnancy jeans on {unbuttoned of course} throughout my entire pregnancy with luc, that i didn't buy a single pair of maternity jeans or shorts. the last four weeks of that pregnancy, i paid for that pride with every uncomfortable minute i had to wear clothes. and THEN i had a c-section, and the very idea of putting my tight pants on over my incision made me want to cry. but my pride was strong. i took JEANS to the hospital, people. SKINNY JEANS NO LESS. SKINNY JEANS to wear home after birthing a baby. everybody told me not to- friends, baby magazines, my mom- everybody told me to pick the sweats, but my pride wanted to be squeezed back into those jeans as quickly as possible. bless my dear mother, who walked to the target across the street from the hospital, and bought me two pairs of yoga pants, and then insisted i wear nothing else for weeks. thank heavens she was bossier than my pride that time, that really would have hurt.
it's something i've been working on, trying to find a more reasonable balance, when it comes to my pride. so this pregnancy, in an act of self-improvement and out of a sincere desire to not be so darn uncomfortable all the live-long day, i bought maternity jeans. you know, those special pants they make specifically for pregnant women because our miraculously growing bodies aren't meant to be squished into our regular pants? {duh, lindsey} yeah, those ones, i bought those. AND I LOVE THEM. they are so comfortable, so spacious, so stretchy and soft! they don't give me welts under my belly and they don't cut off circulation to my legs! glory hallelujah, they're the BEST PANTS EVER INVENTED!
stupid pride, you kept me from this comfy goodness for far too long. but in the end you did not win, ha! i declare that i love maternity jeans, and i don't care who knows it!
25.5 weeks in my new old navy maternity jeans. love at first try-on.














I'll be excited to read the post where you have a love-hate relationship with these pants. "Why would I have ever liked the full panel stretchy band", "My pants are ALWAYS falling down." "It's so frustrating to wear maternity pants for comfort and a belly band to keep the pants up." Haha. I think I had this pride cycle in reverse. I fully embraced maternity clothes with #1 and on #3 I waited as long as possible and even started buying large shirts instead of maternity shirts (mostly because maternity tops cost a fortune and I could get essentially the same shirt for $6). Also, I had no idea that you had such an aversion to maternity pants nor did I know know that you took SKINNY JEANS to the hospital. Linds....what the????!!!!! Haha.
ReplyDelete