Hokusai is a famous late 18th, early 19th century Japanese artist. His wood cute prints are absolutely exquisite in their elegance and detail. I think Hokusai was a genius. His art is fantastic, and he was constantly learning and exploring new themes and methds of printing and painting. He hugely influenced the progression of Japanese art and it's heightened popularity outside of Asia. He worked up until he died, and is quoted on his deathbed as saying "If Heaven had lent me but five years more, I would have become a great painter." 

Goldfinch and Cherry Tree, c. 1834
Sakura, c. 1830
Flowers, c.1822
Hibiscus and Sparrow, c. 1826
The Great Wave off Kanagawa, c. 1790
I love his super thin, elegant lines- somehow he manages to make them so fragile and delicate, yet opulent and rich at the same time. There's such a visual wealth in his prints and paintings- so much to feast your eyes on! The colors are soft and deep- pulling you in and soothing you, all at once. I could drown in his shades of blue. These works are gorgeous and I am definitely going to fill my house with his prints someday...

















0 comments:
Post a Comment